It was a double-Dutch-door week with the install of Mendi and Mike's door... and now Monica and Ron's. Interestingly enough, they were coincidental and also identical — Monica and Ron's actually served as a template for Mendi and Mike's since theirs was an entirely new creation (new post, etc.). We scheduled the install for Tuesday and I finished off the painting yesterday.
Monica and Ron started with a solid enough door... which is unusual. They had it replaced 8 or so years ago but when it came to priming and painting the door, the top and bottom edges were left raw and unpainted and the elements degraded the door and it began to delaminate. Ron also really, really, really wanted a doorknob with an escutcheon.
The color is Behr's "Inferno" (likely the first question on people's minds) which was a tough color to apply. It's so bright that it doesn't cover terribly well and it took multiple coats to get a solid opacity. This was the direct opposite of the "Belini" color that Chris picked which covered in one coat. The color really can make a difference insofar as coverage... and so can weather insofar as application. Coupled with the day's high winds and high temperatures, the coating was drying almost as I was putting it on the door resulting in far more texture than many of the doors we do (In Chris' case, it was in December and it took the paint for-ev-er to dry). Typically the Behr Premium Plus "Ultra" (matte) flattens out into a smooth matte sheen which is one of the reasons it's a (surprise*) go-to favorite. I'll be going back in a few weeks after the paint cures a bit to sand it and give it one more, smoother top-coat to make the texture a good bit more smooth. I'll also be installing a top and bottom cap for future protection... something that I expect I'll be adding to more and more doors as the edges tend to be a bit tender and are too often abused.
(*typically Behr isn't go-to paint, but this formulation has proven itself among a more pedigreed set. However, not all sheens are made the same. The semigloss version is terrible.)
This is the 3rd Dutch door we've installed and like each door, we learn something new. Geometry is always a bit of a challenge with these, but with shims and chisels, we got everything mortised well and leveled out.
At some point in the history of the house, the electric/piezo door opener (buzzer) was replaced with a newer unit, but it fits and works as original. I was able to re-sculpt the area a bit here and around the deadbolt plate for a cleaner look. The deadbolt now also has a metal security cup which makes the commercial lock even stronger.
To secure the "Dutch" part of the door, I installed a more attractive slide bolt (previously, they had a gate latch) and mortised the retaining ring into the top lip of the door for a cleaner finish.
Tomorrow, ironically, I'll be installing a regular door for our Dutch neighbor, Judith...