Another front door install... and while they get a little blog-monotonous after a while, each is a little different and worth of pointing out a few things — and validating a few more things.
(Shameless plug: We've gotten pretty good at these and they're looking damn-fine. If you're in the market for a new door in the East Bay area, drop me a line... soup-to-nuts, these run about $900-1000 installed (depending on options) provided there's not a ton of reconstruction to do on the jamb).
- Lesson #1: When you find a good vendor, stick with them.
- Lesson #2: It helps to know what you're looking at... Had Glen attempted it himself (while a skilled handyman himself), he'd have stared at it for hours trying to get the defective part to work. Since I've installed quite a few, it was apparent in a few minutes
Molly picked the Behr color "Yucca" for the front door to coordinate with the current house color and the pending new color. Again, we used Behr's Ultra Exterior (flat). While I'm generally not a huge fan of Behr paints, they're readily available and this particular formulation rolls on really, really well -- smooth and no orange peel.
- Lesson #3: When something works, stick with it.
Another neat thing: the buzzer still works! It took quite a bit of carpentry to get it to lie flush and just the way we wanted, but it was totally worth it and a certain badge of authenticity for the house.